Friday, October 29, 2010

Broom + Lamp = ?

First word: BROOM
The first thing I think of when I hear the word broom is its purpose, a cleaning device. Culturally for Chinese New Year you are suppose to use your broom to sweep out bad luck from your dwelling. Some of the random thoughts that come to my mind are old ladies chasing pigeons with their broomsticks or a super mom using a broomstick to do all sorts of things besides cleaning such as reaching things from far away and poking this and that from a distance. For example, the mom would use her broomstick to tip the carton of milk into her child’s bowl of cereal and then catch a child’s falling books with the broom and shove it back into their backpack. I can also see old tenants using the end of a broomstick to poke at their ceiling to hush up their loud neighbors. Lastly, since it is so close to Halloween I think of witches using them for transportation. Some random words that just come to mind are Swiffer (the newer modified version of a broom), dusters, bristles, and a long stick.

Second word: LAMP
With the word lamp, I think of Ikea because I am sitting next to my Ikea lamp, and it’s on right now. My next thought is what powers the lamp, a light bulb! More specifically my lamp has a compact fluorescent bulb inside which seems to be the newest and most popular type of bulb to get because of its eco-friendliness. At night I always have my lights on because I am legally blind and it serves as my visual aid through the dark. It’s my beacon of light or like a light house that saves me from crashing into things. I also think about how Thomas Edison was proud of readjusting everyone’s biological clocks by one hour. Thanks to him i've become nocturnal and get no sleep at all. This leads me to my last thoughts which are I need to go to bed earlier, so I can stop wasting so much electricity and that all lamps need to be wireless to clear the clutter and become more aesthetically pleasing.

Fusing the two
1. A broom with a lamp attached at the bristle area
2. A lamp with a broom engraved in it
3. A broom with a lamp attached on the top
4. A broom with bristles that can light up
5. A lamp covered with bristles
6. A broom designed to hold a bulb at the end
7. A broom where the stick can light up
8. A broom made from old recycled lamps
9. A broom with a lamp shade/stand that covers the bristles
10. A lamp with broom bristles as a type of handle to hang the item from a ceiling

Viable products
1. A broom with a lamp attached at the bristle area- so that light will be shown towards the end of the broom used for sweeping. This would help users sweeping in hard to reach areas that might be to dark to see whether you have swept all the dirt from that area.
2. A lamp, such as one with a bulb that is surrounded by walls, with broom images engraved in the walls- perhaps the consumer can schedule when the light should turn on automatically to signal it is time to clean the house. When the light turns on, an image of a broom will shine on the consumer’s wall as a signal to start cleaning.
4. A broom with bristles that can light up- it can allow you to better see what is on the floor so that you sweep up everything (same concept as 1)
6. A broom designed to hold a bulb at the end- with the fluorescent bulbs they have a spiral shape, so with the broom’s end it can be shaped in a way to fit the top of the bulb onto the end of the broom; that way consumers can use the broom to help screw in bulbs into light fixtures that are too high to reach
9. A broom with a lamp shade/stand that covers the bristles- this can either make the product more ascetically appealing to leave the broom out on the kitchen floor which would make it easily accessible

1 comment:

  1. Clara,

    Creative yet realistic ideas. I'm amazed by the viable products that you suggested. Especially "A broom with a lamp attached at the bristle area" is something that I would purchase when I see it in Target. You eventually developed really nice products with two super separate objects. Good job!

    ReplyDelete